Friday 5 June 2009

Question and Answers.

Today I am going to answer a few questions that people have asked me.

First of all I will start with Matron who asked what she can do with all her Red Currants, well if you visit this site there are lots of suggestions
http://www.cookitsimply.com/category-0020-0s388.html

The Weaver of Grass asked me a while ago if I have problems with slugs and snails. I have to say this touching wood that I don't have trouble at all in the garden although they can be a pest in the greenhouse, especially with certain types of seedlings. There is actually a range of garden hand tools that is said to deter slugs and snails, how true this is I don't know. They are nice tools though a bit expensive for all but the very keen gardener or one thats at their wits end with slugs and snails. To view the tools go to http://www.implementations.co.uk/

Red Clover has just started working as a gardener and is suffering all the aches and pains that go with the job, especially when you first start. There is no real cure but a good thing to try and do is to vary your jobs. If you're weeding and your back starts to ache go and do a standing up job for a while, you find that in time you get so you can cope for longer periods at a time.

Sara has noticed that I'm still in the garden at gone 8 some evenings. I usually finish around 5:30 in the summer but when the weather is hot its still to early to close the greenhouses so I go back across later in the evening when everything has cooled down a little. I also stop and do some watering now and then as thats the best time to water.

2 comments:

joco said...

Hiya Bob,

I like your saying below the header picture. Too true.

The efficacy of those copper tools has me bewildered: does that require that you work non-stop to keep the copper moving and the snails at bay :-)

Seeing that my snails run in the thousands over a summer, I am always looking for an efficient method to keep control, but 24 hour digging doesn't appeal.

joco said...

Thanks for your reply on my blog.
I agree with you: very unlikely that using a copper handtool will leave a lasting snail deterrent effect in the soil.
Those merchants: they'll try anything :-)