Tuesday 15 April 2008

The Plank.

All readings are taken from a sheltered location in our
garden and cover a 24 hour period starting at 6pm.
Low Temp: 0.3C
High Temp: 12.0C
Rainfall: 0.6mm
Strongest Gust of wind: 3.4 mph
Weather Today: Bright until 3 then came on to rain, still cold.

Today I got my Hytec onion sets so I set too and got them in the ground straight away. I just happened to meantion it to Tippy when I got home for lunch and she said to make sure I tell you about 'The Plank'. Unlike the onion sets there is nothing hitec about it, its simply a plank of wood that I use instead of a garden line for marking out the rows. It works well, better than a line for the shorter rows we have here in the veg garden at the big house. Its quite thin and is 12 foot long by 6 inches wide.

What I've also done is cut marks along the edges to mark out the distances. On the side you see the plank is marked off in 6 inches, every other mark being full width of the plank so its easy to measure either feet or half feet when planting. See the picture below, my finger is pointing out the foot mark and then you can see the 6 inch mark at the top of the picture. Then if you turn the plank over one edge is marked at 4 inch intervals which is the distance I plant my oinions. There is a free edge with no marking because I find the three that I have cover everything.
As I say it works better on the shorter rows, if you have long rows then I think the line is better.

Also today, as it came on to rain in the afternoon me and Tom went to the garden centre for some grass seed to re-seed the piece of lawn where the Evergreen Oak came from. I have it all levelled and raked now ready for the seed. I haven't been in a hurry to put it in because the weather is still so cold. I don' want to sow it and have it sitting there for ages because of the dogs and kids digging holes in it.

Anyway I'd better be getting off now, take care.
Bob.

1 comment:

Gordon Mason said...

Now that is a stonking good idea. Gonna do that myself.

Woody