Thursday 24 July 2008

Pics From Day 1.

Here are the first lot of pictures from my Pennine Way walk for you to look at. Here is me ready for the off, it was definately a woolly hat day on the moors that day.The first point of interest for me was the foot bridge over the M62. This bridge was built especially to carry the Pennine Way walkers over the motorway.
Below is an old packhorse road close to Blackstone Edge. Its said by some to be a Roman road due to the finding of Roman artifacts in the area, others say that the road you now see overlays the actual road used by the Romans. Whichever the case may be I can tell you its one of the better sections of the Pennine Way to walk on.
Below is a picture of Stoodley Pike, a monument which stands over one hundred feet in height above Todmorden in West Yorkshire. It was completed in 1856 at the end of the Crimean War. There was an earlier structure on or near this site to commemorate the deteat of Napolean however this earlier pike collapsed following a lightening strike and wear and tear from the elements which can be quite brutal in such an exposed position. On a clear day the pike can be seen for miles around, I arrived in heavy rain and mist so it didn't become visible until I was just a few hundred yards away. You can climb the spiral staircase inside to the viewing balcony which I did just because it had to be done and not for the reward of the view as there was no view for me.
Below is looking back across the Calder Valley to Stoodley Pike. The day was now clear and bright.
This is my pitch for the night at Highgate Farm, Colden. There is no charge for camping here and there is also a farm shop by the name of 'Aladin's Cave' in which you can buy whatever you need for your dinner and much more besides, you can even treat yourself to a beer as I did. This was the best pitch I had along all of the way. Which just goes to prove that the best things in life are free.

2 comments:

Matron said...

I can almost breathe all that fresh air from here! - but not quite..

Shayla said...

Thats some walk you're undertaking.