Monday 25 February 2008

To Sow Or Not To Sow?

The Crinan Canal.All readings are taken from a sheltered location in our
garden and cover a 24 hour period starting at 6pm.
Low Temp: 2.1C
High Temp: 10.8C
Rainfall: 0.0mm
Strongest Gust of wind: 4.8 mph.
Weather Today: Bright but with a cold wind.
I've spent much of today working in the courtyard area tidying up the beds and around the walls. Mostly weeding the edging. I was/am thinking of putting a few Polyanthus and Pansies in the centre bed but I'm not sure I have enough plants to do it properly so am undecided if it's best given the thin covering or just not bother at all and use the plants somewhere else.
Another little problem I have at the moment is with the boss being late ordering the seeds and me going on holiday I don' t know whether to sow them now which is the proper time for some of them or wait until I get back and then be a few weeks late. Anyone who has grown stuff from seed knows that you have to keep a close eye on them and watch the watering and ventilation and what have you so to entrust my seedlings to an unskilled stand in is going to be a bit of a worry. If I sow them now they would just be coming through as I go away, or I could sow them just before I leave and then it would just be a matter of keeping an eye on the watering or I could just leave them until my return but thats not until three weeks time. I just can't help thinking that maybe it's best that they arrive late than not at all.

Anyway here are a couple of lots of seedlings that have got going okay, these are part of my 'Veg In Vessel's' project. What you see below are a few Radishes, I intend to just leave them in this pot, in a cold greenhouse and pick when ready

These are some Beetroot, if I remember right they are called Boltardy and are supposed to resist bolting which I gather can be a problem when being grown early although I've never had much trouble in that direction. I will let these come on a bit more then pot them in to something bigger, I'm not sure what yet.

That will have to be if for today as Vicki is home from the flower class so I will go make her a cuppa and sit awhile with her. Y'all take care of y'sens now.
Bob.

1 comment:

Jeanette said...

Hi Bob, Nice pic along the pathway beside the canal,,I think i would take a chance and plant a few seeds just before you go away at least you should have a few seed popping there heads out the soil when you return...