Monday 19 April 2010

Mountain Bothies Association.

Hello everyone,
I spent most of today tidying up the path in to the walled garden, I forgot to take a picture before I started so you will just have to make do with the end result. It had basically go so there was a path about foot wide so I put an edge to the lawn and skimmed off the grass and weeds to return the path to its proper width, it just needs a bit of fresh gravel on it now but I doubt that will happen any time soon but it looks better anyway.

In a previous post about my last walk Woody Wilbury left this comment 'I knew I recognised those photos!! You've done the circuit I occasionally do, but in the opposite direction. I usuallly have a fry-up brunch in the shooting cabin in Lower Small Clough.'. As it happens I took a few pictures of the shooting cabins that he talks about so I will show you them tonight.
There are two, this being one.


This is the other.

Inside the second one there is a table and some chairs and benches, these buildings are very welcome on cold wet days and can be life savers on occasion even though the accomodation is very basic. There is even a visitors book.

There is an organisation that maintain shelters such as this, most of which are in Scotland but there are a few in England and Wales. As far as I know though this particualr shelter is not one that is maintained by them. If you would like to read more about their work click HERE .

2 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

On a walk once we stopped at what we thought was one of these bothies, Bob - there was even a cloth on the table. It was only as we were preparing to leave after eating our lunch that we realised it was the dining room for beaters from the shooting lodge! We made a hasty exit.

Gordon Mason said...

New window & new Visitor's Book since I was there. Turning into a Des Res!!