In the Dahlia beds of the Memorial gardens there are four roses that are supposed to climb over Metal obelisks and for some reason that have never done very well so we’ve decided to replace them with some new one. I got the replacements before Christmas but have yet to plants them as I wanted to do it when I changed the soil in the greenhouse border because when you plant new roses where old ones have been you need to renew the soil as well so as I needed to change the soil in the greenhouse border as well it would be a good chance to sort both jobs out at the same time. So today the time had come to do this and I was surprised when I started to dig out the old roses to find them sitting on top of six inches of concrete.
This isn't right surely!
Whoever put in the obelisks had concreted them in to the ground and then planted the roses on top of the concrete. I don’t pretend to be a rose expert but to my mind this doesn’t seem right – I don’t know what you all think. If you look close at the pictures you can see the roots of the roses all curled up like that would love to go deeper but can’t get. Anyway unless someone tells me that is how they’re supposed to grow then I’m going to be knocking hell out of that concrete before returning the obelisks and planting the new roses.
I guess another alternative would be to plant the roses to the side and train them in to the middle as they grow, I think I’m going to try and bash the concrete off though.